Monday, July 19, 2010

S.O.S. Blog #8 - 07/19/10

Since my mom’s death last year I’ve been helping Dad send out greeting cards. The birthday/anniversary list Mom and I created for them years ago has really simplified the process. Since I have all the dates stored in a database, it’s easy to update information as names are added or deleted from the list. Also, I print return address labels - in chronological order - and apply them to Dad’s calendar. He’s been able to manage his own correspondence because the labels remind him of upcoming occasions. It’s fun to see Dad now applying systems that I’ve used for years. He chooses the cards, writes his message, and addresses the envelopes once or twice a month. Then, in the stamp corner he writes the date the card needs to be mailed. When that day arrives, he simply covers the date with a stamp and drops the card in the mailbox. He really hardly needs my help at all!

Positive Spin Tip #8: To set up your special occasion system, make a list by month of birthdays and anniversaries you want to acknowledge. Then, reserve a day during the last week of each month to write out next month’s cards. Be sure to have a specific place to store the cards until they are mailed. Of course, you can also use a virtual reminder system. I love www.Plaxo.com - a safe, online address book that sends reminders when someone on your list is having a birthday. You can even send free greeting cards for any occasion from their website. I especially appreciate the future mailing option that let’s me customize greeting cards and choose the date to have it emailed to my friend, relative, client, or coworker. If you need help getting your list organized or would like to have labels printed for your calendar, just let me know. S.O.S. offers a variety of services, including organizing your correspondence. Contact Susi@MessDistress.com

1 comment:

  1. Well Susi...What a wonderful picture of you and your Dad. As I started to read this, I thought of you immediately, not noticing that it was your blog until I saw the picture. Daaaaa...go figure, hey? You look great and your Dad too. Give him a hello hug for me and have him give you one in return, for me. Miss you.
    Your system is wonderful and I will have to apply some of these notes to a system for Mom. She is so on top of things tho, I'm not sure I can teach an old dog, eeek, don't tell her I used that phrase, a new trick.
    BlessYourHeartStranger

    ReplyDelete